After the guide how to enable tethering iPhone 3G 3GS here comes an updated guide for iPhone 4 IOS4
Tether your iPhone 4 or iPhone running iOS4 via Wi-Fi. Share the iPhone 4 internet connection with your laptop or other Wi-Fi enabled devices, even your PC. Enjoy streaming media, web pages, email and everything else about the internet using your iPhone 4 or iOS4 enabled device and Wi-Fi tethering.
iOS4 Tethering: Options
With the release of the iOS4 and the iPhone 4 many users are anxious to enable Wi-Fi tethering. Wi-Fi tethering will enable users to share their iPhone internet connection with other devices wirelessly. iPhone 4 and iOS4 Wi-Fi tethering is quite easy to use and it is built into the iOS4 operating system.iOS4: Tethering
Many cellular networks such as AT&T require users to purchase a special tethering plan to use tethering with their iPhone. Tethering plans are often over priced and do not offer large amounts of data transfer
. Users with jailbroken iPhone’s can enjoy the luxury of Wi-Fi tethering using their cellular data network without purchasing a tethering package. Accomplishing unofficial tethering will require the use of special software that can be downloaded on a jailbroken iPhone.
Users of non-jailbroken iPhones who simply wish to utilize tethering thru a tethering plan on their cellular network can do so quite easily. This guide will cover the official Wi-Fi tethering method for the iPhone 4 and iOS4 and then afterwards it will explain how to tether with a jailbroken iPhone 4 or iOS4.
iOS4: Official Tethering
Tethering the iPhone 4 and iOS4 the official way will often require you to purchase a tethering package from your wireless provider. The procedure for purchasing a tethering package will vary based on provider. Not all users will need to purchase a tethering package. You can test to see if a tethering package is required by activating internet tethering. To activate Wi-Fi tethering for iOS4 follow these steps:
- Open settings. Tap the grey settings icon on the home screen of your iPhone.
- Choose network. Tap on “General”. Tap on “Network” to open the network settings section.
- Enable tethering. Enable Wi-Fi tethering in iOS4 by tapping “Set up Internet Tethering”. Choose Wi-Fi if you are prompted on which method to use for tethering.
- Purchase a tethering package. The iPhone may prompt you to enable internet tethering for your account. This will require you to contact your wireless provider and purchase a tethering package. Once you have purchased a tethering package repeat the steps in this guide. If you are not prompted to purchase a tethering package, skip this step.
iOS4 Tethering: Jaikbroken Method
Tethering with the iPhone 4 and iOS4 can be easily accomplished with the built-in tethering functionality. The built-in tethering function is both limited and requires a subscription to a tethering package with your wireless carrier. Jailbroken users can enjoy the use of tethering without a tethering package and without limitations using a great piece of software called “MyWi”.
- Open Cydia. Open Cydia by clicking the Cydia icon on your iPhone’s home screen.
- Search for MyWi. Tap “Search” on the navigation bar of Cydia. Type “MyWi” in the search box and tap search.
- Download MyWi. Tap MyWi to bring up the install option. Select “Install” in the upper right corner. Select “Confirm” in the
upper right corner to begin the download and installation.
- Launch MyWi. Tap the MyWi icon on the home screen of your iPhone to launch MyWi.
- Enable Tethering. Tap the slide next to “Enable Tethering” to turn tethering on in iOS4 or on the iPhone 4. Set the Wi-Fi name to anything you would like. You may also set security when using Wi-Fi tethering for iOS4 and iPhone 4 with MyFi.